Saturday, April 10, 2010

Critiques

Okay, so now I get why some authors become reclusive and refuse to show their work to anyone. It is very nerve-wracking to share even a chapter of my draft. The whole time I wavered between just knowing those who chanced a glance would be wowed by my incredible, never-before-seen genius and realizing those who chanced a glance would more likely see so many ugly bumps, knots, and splotches that it has taken me literally a week to even look at one of the remarks made.

Silly me. It was painful, but necessary. I obviously do like my writing. After all, I wrote it, but I need a perspective that's unbiased, and I need to consider the view of a potential reader (other than me). Does that mean that I change everything the reader didn't like? No, but if I'm getting the same message from different readers, there is probably need for change.

So, thank you to those who were nice enough to take some time out of your own busy schedule and give me some insight into what I'm too close to see in my own work. I promise that anything said (in my head only, of course) about your judgement was said in the heat of the moment, and I didn't mean a word of it. I respect your opinion, and I like that I feel a part of a community of writers.

I might still turn into one of the reclusive kind of writers, but I think I'll give this a chance first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I have been a writer all my life. I still have pleasant memories of typing my "plays" about talking fruits for hours at the age of eight. I gave up on the fruits, but not my love of writing. I hope to publish within the next year. I have been working on at least three book manuscripts, two narrative articles, and 1 poem. Other than that, I work, pretend to clean, and try to be a good wife and mother (work in progress).